Social Media Club workshop
The workshop held by the Social Media Club was a gathering of MarCom pros and bloggers. The discussion focused around integrating social media in to the corporate media channels. Jeremiah Owyang has a super roundup from the day. Giovanni has video.
Chris introduced the Strategy Cafe a process learned from the WorldCafe.
The goals were to 1. Promote media literacy 2. support ethics and standards (such as a social media press release) 3. share best practices.
Chris posits there are 7 roles for social media:
- Transparency and Authenticity
- Talk “with” instead of “to”
- Can’t manage microsegments
- Participation is marketing
- Can’t control the message
- Listening is more important than talking
- Engagement is genuine
The Pew Interactive Study was mentioned – 60% of readers do not realize they are reading blogs.
The attendees and presenters included professional technologists, Marketing/Communications and PR pros:
Lisa Stone – founder of Blogher and social media strategist
– 4 things a blog should answer 1. who are the bloggers? 2. wht are they blogging? 3. why are they doing it? 4. why do i care?
– Addresses blogging ethics with the Walmart-Edelman example
Robert Scoble – An A-list blogger, presented the power of the blogosphere and using video instead of a press release
– Traffic comes from search engines
– The #1 stragegy for getting noticed-google keyword acquisition
– Need to upload enough new links out there to keep competitors from usurping your search
Giovanni Rodriguez – see videos from the session